Linda Merrill (Ph.D., University of London, 1985)
Art and literature in late 19th-century England; aestheticism and japonisme; 19th-century American painting
- After Whistler: The Artist & His Influence on American Painting, editor, Yale University Press and High Museum of Art, 2003.
- The Peacock Room: A Cultural Biography, Yale University Press, 1998.
- With Kindest Regards: The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, 1890-1903, editor, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1995.
- Freer: A Legacy of Art, co-authored with Thomas Lawton, Freer Gallery of Art and Abrams, 1993.
- A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in Whistler v. Ruskin, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992; reprint 1993.
- "Charles Augustus Howell" and "Frederick Richards Leyland," in The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- "Charles Lang Freer," in The American National Biography. Oxford University Press, 2000.
- "Whistler and the `Lange Lijzen,'" The Burlington Magazine, October 1994.
Current research and works in progress
- Albert Herter and the Great War: The End of the Gilded Age
- "The Better Homes Movement in America, 1933-1936: Bungalows, Politics, and Home Economics"